Welcome to my tea blog! Here, have a cup of tea :).

In this blog, I will be drinking a lot of tea, but I am willing to share! I also will talk about my quest to create a comtemplative tea lifestyle and slow things down so that I can enjoy my life more, and about how drinking tea brings peace to my day.

It, truly, is the pause that refreshes, and I am asking myself how I can create more of that and less of the crazy-buzy, hurry-to-get-to-the-next-thing energy that all too often adds pressure and tension to my day.


Thursday, July 15, 2010

Calm Down & Chill Out with Iced Tea This Summer

Two more great pieces of information I found right in my Woman's World magazine...

(1) Drinking tea can help you calm down.

"In a study, the levels of stress hormones in people who drank a cup of black tea before an anxiety-provoking task were more than 20% lower than their non-tea-drinking counterparts! Scientists credit L-theanine, a natural anti-anxiety compound in tea, for the relaxation effect." ~~Woman's World

This compound, L-theanine, is the reason you can meditate with tea even if your tea has caffeine. It is also the reason why tea, at the same time, makes you more alert and calms you down, both of which are helpful when you are about to meditate.

(2) Drinking hibiscus tea lowers blood pressure.

Hibiscus tea is "proven to lower blood pressure as well as prescription meds! The blooms are rich in anthocyanins, compounds that dilate blood vessels and block an enzyme that triggers hypertension -- in the same way that the common prescriptions, ACE inhibitors, work, but without their side effects. In one study, hypertension patients saw their blood pressure lowered 11% after drinking hibiscus tea for just 12 days." ~~Woman's World